You asked, here it is.
I wrote this post back in June 2013 about how I cured my candida. Since then people have asked me what I ate. (The Biotheraphy Clinic here in the Bay Area, CA that cured me gave me a diet to follow for about 3-4 months. I went the full 4 months. I did NOT want to have to repeat it.)
I had tried candida diets in the past. While I was on them I felt better but as soon as I got off them my candida symptoms came back. I believe it was the combination of supplements, mineral water, diet and colon cleanses – complete with repopulating my gut with good bacteria afterwards – that cured me for good.
This clinic knows their stuff.
If you are in the Bay Area and you have candida, go see them. I drove 45 minutes each way to my appointments and I was grateful to do it. I emailed them to ask if I could publish their diet. They said of course. (They are so nice!)
So without further ado, here is the diet.
(Honestly, if you have tried one of the other candida diets being able to have an apple a day will save you. IT WILL SAVE YOU.)
Also, I think their recommendation that you space your eating so that you can digest fully is fantastic:
Here is the diet from Biotheraphy Clinic:
(I ate the Paleo version of this, so... this diet minus anything that was grains, legumes or dairy. It would naturally be a granulated sugar free, being a candida-free diet.)
OK, that was a little "ado".
If you want to be healthy, feel great and be in the best physical shape, eat as much “live food” as you can, meaning raw food that has not undergone temperature treatment. Develop the habit of eating cooked foods only once a day, at dinner time.
Chew your food slowly and thoroughly. Try not to swallow even small, unchewed pieces.
If you are thirsty, have a drink ½ hour before your meal, or 1 hour after, otherwise the drink will dilute your gastric juices, and disrupt the normal digestive process.
Digestion requires more energy than any other bodily function. To save the energy needed for cleansing and healing the body (e.g. of waste, harmful bacteria and parasites), different foods have to be properly combined. At any meal, vegetables (except starches) should be combined with only one other kind of food, such as meat, fish, poultry, etc.
There should be a brake of 30-45 minutes between meals consisting of fruits. After meals that do not include meat, there should be a break of no less than 3 hours before the next meal. After meals containing meat the break should be 4 hours.
Eat dinner early so the food moves out of your stomach before bedtime.
Twice a day, drink a glass of warm water with juice of ½ or whole lemon.
Especially, drink at least 8-10 glasses of liquid, including mineral, distilled, spring or purified water.
Exclude the following:
- sweet fruits (bananas, figs, persimmons, sweet mangoes, grapes, oranges, mandarins and all dried fruits)
- sugar and sugar containing foods, including honey, molasses, maple syrup, etc.
- bread, pastries, cookies, pasta, anything containing wheat
- yeasty food (rolls, bread)
- dairy products: milk, cheese, cottage cheese (except plain low fat yogurt with active, living cultures)
- alcoholic beverages
- canned, bottled, packaged and processed foods, (usually contain refined sugar products and other hidden ingredients)
- sauces and vinegar
- pickled and smoked meats and fish
- all types of mushrooms
- starchy vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet corn, winter squash, cooked carrot and beets) and white rice.
Eat – unlimited veggies (best raw, but steamed, boiled or baked acceptable ): cabbage, alfalfa, asparagus, avocado, beet, broccoli, carrot raw, cauliflower, celery, cucumber eggplant sweet pepper, lettuce, peas, radishes, spinach raw, sprouts,salat greens, tomato, zucchini;
- wild fish, wild skinless chicken and turkey, lean meat no more than 3,5 oz;
- beans, legumes (one cup a day);
- raw seeds and nuts (except peanuts).
- whole grains.
Eat only whole grains of oat, barley, millet, brown rice, quinoa, rye, buckwheat (no more than one cup per day).
Use only cold pressed plant oils (olive, flax, corn, etc.)
To replace vinegar use lemon or limejuice.
Drink only freshly squeezed vegetable juice. Avoid all fruit, carrot, frozen or preserved juices.
Everyday, eat 1-2 servings of unsweet fruits alone on empty stomach: apples, apricots, blueberries, all berries, grapefruit, lemon, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, plums, and cherries.
Eat as much raw garlic, ginger, onion and cayenne pepper, as you can.
Everyday, drink 2 cups of ginger tea (start with ¼ of tsp., increase to 1 tsp. shredded ginger per cup of boiling water) and 2 cups of strong peppermint tea. After 5 pm, drink 2 cups of chamomile tea.
- 2 eggs scrambled with finely chopped onion, sweet pepper and parsley
- 2 eggs omelets with asparagus, tomato, celery
- whole oatmeal with cinnamon and stevia or other spices
- buckwheat, kasha with oil or butter
- quinoa kasha with oil or butter
- plain low fat yogurt (Horizon, Nancy, Brown cow, Mountain high, Pavel's, Continental, etc.)
- spinach salad (spinach, green onion, dill, hard boiled eggs)
- green salad (dark green lettuce, cucumber, tomato, avocado, onion) with broiled chicken breast
- tricolor salad (arugula, endive, radicchio) with shrimp
- Mediterranean salad (tomato, cucumber, onion, dill, olives and hard boiled eggs)
- avocado salad (tomato, avocado, onion, basil) with baked fish
- green salad (vegetables of your choice) with rye bread (no wheat, no yeast)
- green salad with cooked beans (lima, red, etc.)
- green salad topped with nuts or seeds
- vegetable soup
- seaweed soup with tofu
- brown rice with onion, ginger and broccoli
- brown rice with onion, garlic, sweet pepper and parsley
- quinoa with ginger and green beans
- eggplant with onion, sweet pepper and sour cream
- cauliflower and broccoli with ginger and tofu
- zucchini with garlic and lima beans
- stuffed peppers with onion, cilantro and brown rice
- stuffed zucchini with onion, parsley and quinoa.
I like the easy Paleo stuff.